Re: [MiNT] Background

On Monday 19 Sep 2011 20:44:20 Helmut Karlowski wrote:

> The question is not what was the GEm-intention 25 years ago but how to make
> it a modern usable OS wich is fast and comfortable to use.
>
> IMHO XaAES beats even windows in many aspects already, though not in all ;)
>
> If you want the OS to behave like 1985-GEM, then simply don't use MiNT
> at all - use MagiC or ROM-TOS. Many people do that already.

Did you actually read what I wrote?

> And for Peter repeating his complaints about a simple bug that was gone
> before he started this thread, this completely disqualifies him for me
> to test the daily builds.
>
> > What do you propose? If the AES is run without a desktop, or the
> > desktop=20 crashes, you need some way to recover. However, I agree that
> > the current=20 implementation is less than perfect, with the entry XaAES
> > xxx Release und= er=20
> > that weird Clients non-standard sub-menu, amid the accessories, and the
> > w= ay=20
>
> You can switch it off completely. Or feel free to improve things.

Remove the complete menu desktop? Yeah, great solution.

> > the AES is considered as an application when keyboard-switching apps,
> > among= =20
> > other annoying details.
>
> I don't know what you mean here, but I'm sure I have the opposite opionion.

Why are you sure? Do you know me so well? What I meant is you can't switch
between "applications" only with the keyboard. You must go through the whole
list of accessories and XaAES itself. In my use case, this means at least 10
CTRL+ALT+TABs to switch between qed and Toswin. Do you really find this to be
a great feature?

> For Ctrl-Alt: It's one of the feateures that make XaAES superior over
> everything I know.

Apparently yes...

> Whenever someone comes with a reasonable suggestion to improve things -
> no problem. But it's so easy to complain and criticize without ever
> contributing a single bit, not even a request.

If you've read my message as complaining and criticizing, you need to take a
break for a while because this is simply silly.

> My last post on this topic.

All right, then. I shouldn't have bothered to write this. Nice talking to you.

JFL
--
Jean-François Lemaire