Re: [MiNT] Background

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:34:52 , "Jo Even Skarstein" <joska@online.no> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:44:02 +0200, Peter Slegg
>
> >> I disagree. The AES background should override all other backgrounds.
> >> That's the purpose of it.
> >
> > That's crazy. A desktop is an app that is run to do a task, the AES
> > can't just arbitrarily over-ride that task. By that logic every window
> > I open would be hidden behind a vile yellow background.
>
> No. You don't understand how the desktop is drawn. It works like this:
>
> 1. The application that wants to use the desktop loads or creates a
> resource tree that makes up the desktop. This includes *everything* on the
> desktop, like icons or notes.
> 2. The AES is notified by the application about the new desktop tree using
> wind_set().
> 3. The *AES* now takes care of redrawing the desktop object tree whenever
> necessary.
> 4. The AES takes care of switching desktops. Whenever an application with
> an installed desktop takes focus, the desktop is switched. If an
> application that's not the shell has a desktop and it loose focus, the AES
> switches to the shell desktop (if it has a desktop) or XaAES desktop.

That makes little sense.

> > The AES is there to provide services for applications hence it's name
> > Application Environment Services. So it should provide an ability to
>
> Yes, and one service is to draw the desktop.

No, No, No. The AES should provide a facility to draw a desktop.
It is up to applications to use that facility to draw a desktop.

I repeat again that if I install thing ans configure it to display
a nice tiled desktop image it should under no circumstance be overwritten
by the AES.

> > display an image but is should be an application that displays the
> > background image not the AES.
>
> The background image is displayed by the AES, not by an application. What
> XaAES does in this case, is to replace the root object of the desktop
> object tree with an image. So *all* applications that installs a desktop
> gets the same background. This is how it should be!

No, if an application renders a background image then it is doing what the user
has asked it to do.

I never asked for a vile yellow background.