Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT for ColdFire

Helmut Karlowski wrote:
Doesn't MiNT set a CPU-cookie?

I don't know if MiNT adds CPU cookies.
I always thought it was the job of the underlying TOS.

Would the v4e-xaloader run on other m68k-CPUs?

No. Software compiled with GCC and -mcpu=5475 can only run on ColdFire V4e CPUs.

Software compiled with the MiNTLib startup code (almost all user programs) checks for the _CF_ cookie and fail with an explicit message if it is not found.

I see that xaloader is not compiled with the MiNTLib startup code (to save a few kilobytes ?). As a result, it does not include the CPU check. So it will crash miserably on an incompatible CPU. This is not specific to ColdFire, a 68030 xaloader would also fail on 68000.

--
Vincent Rivière