Re: [MiNT] Mintlib based Software running under plain TOS

Hi,

On torstai 20 tammikuu 2011, Jean-François Lemaire wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 Jan 2011 22:09:33 m0n0 wrote:
> >  Today I tried with the real Atari ( yesterday I tried with Hatari +
> >  TOS 4.04 ) - and it still crashes :(
> >  I believe I'm going to drop commitment for classic TOS :/ ( OK, it
> >  just took about 2 weeks until now, but I would like to add more
> >  features...)
> >
> > > Or maybe you are facing a random problem due to a buffer overflow.
> >
> >  while it works well with other systems (especially the hatari...)?

Did you use different TOS version?  Or have different things in the auto
folder & different amount of memory available?

> >  This is puzzling.
>
> NetSurf doesn't run at all with memory protection. This might give you a
> clue as to where the problem resides. On the other hand, it might not. I
> urge you to develop with MP anyway. It helps a great deal in catching
> memory violations.

Hatari has nicer debugger for debugging things that are awkward to debug
with native debuggers (or Aranym's debugger), but it doesn't support MP yet.

And besides the MMU issue, MiNT is also easier to use under Aranym which has
the NATFeats stuff so that one can mount dirs from the host (MiNT under
Hatari needs disk images for everything), so for that I guess Aranym + good
native Atari debugger would be the best.

If one can & wants to do debugging on real HW, then I would also very
stongly recommend using MiNT & MP and fixing first issues with that, because
without MP buggy program may be able to do there quite a bit more annoying
damage than in emulated environment where one can easily setup a new system
which doesn't have anything anything valuable (like non-backed up disk
contents)...

	- Eero