Re: [MiNT] Partition sizes

Hi,

On Friday 20 August 2010, Miro Kropacek wrote:
> > If there really is a 2GB limit in Mint fs then can it be increased ?
>
> It's probably quite painful process as this 2GB limit is from using
> signed integers for storing file sizes. So every place where file
> sizes are used / calculated in both mintlib and freemint must be
> changed to something bigger (like 64-bit value) but I'm not really
> sure if it's even possible in all cases since most (all) GEMDOS calls
> return stuff in LONG (32-bit) and bit #31 is used as indicator for
> error => 2 GB limit. If this would be changed, 99% of existing apps
> would stop to work.
>
> Hmm, it's really bad thing this heritage from 80s...

Actually, at least for the GEMDOS Fread() call, the size parameter
is treated in TOS v4 as unsigned, although earlier TOS versions
treated it as signed.

This was something we bumbed in Hatari GEMDOS emulation
and verified by testing different TOS versions.

(We haven't checked/verified whether the same is true also
e.g. for Fwrite() size and Fseek() offset as programs running
under Hatari haven't had problems with those.)

	- Eero