Re: [MiNT] Bit-Depth and Graphics stuff....

on 7/7/10 11:12 AM, m0n0 wrote:

> but just knowing the pixel format is not enough - i will have to implement
> a bunch of conversion routines...
> I wouldn't wonder if 50 different pixel formats for the Atari exist....

Its not that bad.  I had this very problem in my VNC viewer for MiNT.  Modes
under 256 colors can pretty much be assumed to be native Atari modes.  256
colors modes only come in 2 flavors, either Atari native or some video card
in chunky. There's only 2 ways to do 24-bit, and only so many ways to do
32-bit.  15 and 16 bits modes on the other hand are the worst with various
Intel and Motorola layouts plus the location of the used or unused green
bit. In the routines I ended up making for VNC it amounts to about 22 or so
possible combinations and some of them may not even exists. I implement all
possible pixel layouts because I could not find any solid documentation on
"standards".  I really don't know if video card manufacturers adhere to
standards.  Technically I think they could use any layout they want, because
they always supply a driver layer with their card to deal with it.

--
Lonny Pursell    http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/