Re: [MiNT] Bit-Depth and Graphics stuff....

Hi,

On Sunday 18 July 2010, George Nakos wrote:
> Sunday, July 18, 2010, 10:13:39 AM, you wrote:
> > According to this only 256 colors can be used per image block although
> > the amount of colors in the whole image can be larger.  But the page
> > also says that most (image creation) programs don't support more colors
> > for gifs and that it's impractical to use them.
> >
> > So I don't think they're common on the www-pages and a browser,
> > especially for something like Atari machines where performance and
> > memory usage is more important, could treat & store them as 8-bit...
>
> This  is  kind  of a moot point. If netsurf's gif loading code already
> supports  the  full  proper  gif  spec  (with  more than 1 palette per
> block),  then  it's  going to render to a 24 bit surface. Meaning that
> m0n0  will have to rip out the code and replace it with a simpler one,
> and   compatible.

I didn't find any info on this from the NetSurf documentation, only that
it has separate controls on how much of the image data is buffered as
compressed and how much as uncompressed.

I'm not suggesting that m0n0 would need to do this himself, but it's
something that can be asked from upstream.  Same for 8-bit PNG.
(Storing of uncompressed 8-bit images as 8-bit in memory if they don't
already do it.)

> Not   a   bright   move   when  you're  porting  a thousands-lines-of-code
> project and you want to add a GEM interface if you ask me...

Inddeed, forking is always a bad idea.  That's why one should work with
upstream.  :-)

	- Eero