[MiNT] AW: Re: www-browser engines

Exactly my opinion beetle! A browser running on modern atari setups and being maybe too slow on standard machines wouldn't hurt anyone! But it would make our platform much more usable and attractive for everyone! Highwire is an excellent solution for ataris with less horsepower, but kind of unsatisfying for high end ataris and clones as on those there would be much more possible for sure! I truly believe that question of browser is question about future of tos and mint if we want this to become (again) a modern and usable platform not only a kind of enhanced retro system we definately need a browser!

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----
Von: Stefan Niestegge <beetle@abbuc.de>
Gesendet: Montag, 31. Mai 2010 18:44
An: mint@lists.fishpool.fi
Betreff: Re: [MiNT] www-browser engines

Am 31.05.2010 18:29, schrieb Patrice Mandin:
> Le Sat, 29 May 2010 18:48:00 +0000 (GMT)
> Peter Slegg<p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk>  a écrit:

>>> Check the Origyn website. It has a good porting guide. Porting it to GEM
>>> seems to be doable.
>>>
>>> http://www.sand-labs.org/owb/wiki/OwbalPortingGuide

>>> I would guess that the Origyn SDL-target is quite similar to NetSurf
>>> when it comes to porting. It would be interesting to do both and compare
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Jo Even
>>>
>> I downloaded the source this morning, it's huge, and I think it is
>> all C++.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> I tried to port owb for MiNT some weeks ago, and was blocked due to
> missing functions in math library. I compiled the minimal needed libs
> that it depends on (curl, sdl_gfx, libxml2, libpng).
>
> There are also some issues with Perl usage to generate some source
> files, and you must patch owb to not build shared libraries. And I
> don't talk about possible problems with C++; should be OK if g++ 4.x
> builds correct code.

What about adding a "OWB MiNT port project" to atariforge and work
together? From my viewpoint there are several people in the scene that
are technically able to do it, but its probably too much work for one
person.

A decent browser is really a very important application an OS that wants
to be used needs. Even if not really fast as Highwire in the end, think
of people using upcoming Firebee or Aranym. For lower speed Ataris like
TT or stock Falcons (yeah or even just an ST) we have Highwire.

Please, go for it, it will be worth the work, and don't forget there is
some cash to make for that person or group that offers a (port of)
Browser that is usable for everyday usage and runs on MiNT.

Greetings,
Beetle