Re: [MiNT] MiNTLib 0.59.1 for your testing pleasure....

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 2:19 AM, Keith Scroggins <kws@radix.net> wrote:
>.. snip ..
> Finally, if you want to be brave, GCC 4.5.0 for FreeMiNT.  I used this to
> built MiNTLib, so it seems pretty stable.  Based on Vincent's latest patch.
>  If this is installed, it will replace GCC 2.95.3, and you will want this
> MiNTLib and also Binutils 2.20.1.
>
> .. snip ..
>
> Keith

Thanks for the packages Keith, they are a great addition, and the fact
Vincent has been able to build for Coldfire with them is a double plus

The replacement of 2.95.3 with 4.5.0 was discussed some time around
Christmas 2009, in that whoever build the latest gcc (4.4.5?) had a
system as follows:
gcc-2.95.3
gcc-3.3.6
gcc-4.5.0

I am unsure as to the exact issues that arise, but there are some with
source code written for the older gcc, and I know of certain sources
that require specific gcc to build (cant name any packages off the top
of my head).

What are the issues regarding allowing this sort of installation via
RPM's, and I understand that 2.95.3 would need to be
repackaged/rebuilt to maintain this consistency.

I have a great number of older sources with which to learn
Atari/MiNTLib patch process, ones that are within the time frame of
the current easymint distribution. Most of those sources are changed
considerable with current versions, so I would be loathed to add 4.5.0
compatibility to those older sources as well (I am talking about
100-200 source packages).

It would be benificial if the 3 above gcc could be used on a single
install, at least on ARanyM, where space is not an issue (so much as
non CF card based hardware)

Hope the above is conveyed proberly

Paul