Re: [MiNT] ftp server

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:
> On 06/03/2010 09:02 PM, Peter Slegg wrote:
>> I am planning to set-up a temporary ftp server on the milan
>> for downloads only.
>>
>> I've installed tcp_wrappers, portmap and inetd rpms.
>>
>> I don't really want the ftp server starting at boot time, I'd
>> like to be able to start up the server when I need it if possible.
>
> Sounds awfully complex for occasional use. I personally use Vassilis
> Papathanassiou's (hope I remember that surname correctly!) FTP-server
> which is a simple GEM application. It works very well for occasional use.
>
> Jo Even

from what I can tell from the docs and how you have the deamon setup,
you have "conflicting settings"

I suggest rem'ing the /etc/inetd.conf entry, so that inetd starts at
boot time, but the ftpd does not, then use a script to start the the
ftpd from the commandline..

that said, the way you do have the .conf setup, should mean
"/etc/rc.d/ftpd start" (or similar) should work. this implys that it
is not running already

"ftpd start"
"ftpd stop"
"ftpd restart"

note the above "ftpd" reference is NOT the binary, but the daemon
script that should run the binary

When I get ARAnyM setup here on XP, I'll confirm the exact places and names

in the meantime:
I saw on your original reference page that the user "ftpd" must be
setup to use anonymous.

also from: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/805-8022-02/6j7ht60uj?a=view

        ftp access is denied if the user's shell (from /etc/passwd) is
not listed in the file /etc/shells. If the file /etc/shells does not
exist, then the user's shell must be one of the following:

            /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/ksh
            /usr/bin/jsh /bin/sh      /bin/csh
            /bin/ksh    /bin/jsh      /sbin/sh
            /sbin/jsh

and if you want to give the commanline a go (via a script):
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.cmds/doc/aixcmds2/ftpd.htm

remember to use "ftpd --help" for the actual commands supported

of coarse you can always go Joe's route, depends on what you are
willing to learn :)

Paul