Re: [MiNT] Patch for xaloader.prg

On 2 mar 2010, at 10.03, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

Our kernel loader is called TOS. What is the point in another one, if all it does is to select which kernel to load? E.g. if you have a Falcon with an Afterburner and use this loader to load the correct kernel depending on which CPU is enabled, you still need another tool to (de)activate the Afterburner driver and FPU-emulator. Same with a CT60 - I would be surprised if the kernel is the only thing that differs between a 030 and 060-setup. My normal setup on the AB and Milan has no chance to work on a 14Mb 030, so a boot manager is required anyway.

Well, I don't have that scenario myself. I do however have a bloody annoying scenario where I have to copy and remove kernel- and xaaes binaries all the time, something I'd rather avoid. Afaik there are more CT60 users out there, so I think it could be useful to others as well. I never claimed that this loader is a one-size-fits-all-solution, but at least it does load the correct kernel automatically - which is something some of us need.

But if you have a boot loader - good for you! This stuff doesn't fit your needs, but the boot loader does. I don't see how mintloader could make your life worse? :)

I'm not saying that automatic kernel-selection is a bad idea. I'm saying that it's usefulness is limited when you're already using a boot-manager. However, a boot-manager that can detect hardware and (de)activate the proper kernel and kernel-modules automatically would be very useful <Emoticon1.gif>

Sure - but like I wrote earlier - I look at the scenario at hand. Personally I don't want a boot manager, I just want to start mint & xaaes. There are good boot managers already, so personally I see very little need to write yet another one.

-- PeP