Re: [MiNT] gcc (was: mono)

Hi,

On Tuesday 02 February 2010, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> > Gets gcc-4 specific how?
> >
> > Or did you mean specific to the C-library used with gcc?
>
> Language-wise.

Ok, you mean c99 support. :-)

> > Most used gcc extensions have ended in c99 standard and Henk
> > is adding c99 support to AHCC...
>
> That's nice. I compiled the current kernel with gcc 2.95 and got
> compiler-errors on some statements that where new to me.

2.95 is really ancient.

> For example:
>
> {
> union{ char *s, long l] u; u.s = x;
> long z;

> }
>
> That's not C as I know it.

You mean declaring a variable ("z") somewhere else than at the start of
the code block?  I don't like that either...

> I thought gcc 2.95 is C99.

Gcc 2.95 had quite limited support for C99, see:
	http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html

C99 is quite different from C.  While e.g. C++ is compatible with
c89, it's not really compatible with c99 (don't now remember
the details though).

	- Eero