Re: [MiNT] XaAES sources for FreeMiNT 1.16.3

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:02 AM, Peter Persson <pep.fishmoose@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 dec 2009, at 17.46, Paul Wratt wrote:
>
>> Hope that is understandable in the context of what VDI currently does
>> and does not do.
>
> I get what you're talking about; this is how the VDI works. In practice, there are lots of applications where the performance penalty imposed by the VDI cannot be justified, which means people will want to access the framebuffer directly instead. This is the case with most games & demos.
>
> -- PeP

a "must have", but an initial start to the sequence should be the
ability to choose a screen rez and color depth, and I think that is
what VDI cannot do, which is what a virtual worksataion should be able
to do. That perfomance penalty should not be there which  is a good
case for ASM, or more specifically a custom piece of C code that
generates a specific set of instructions equivalent to the same thing
in ASM...

>From memory frame buffers can be redirected or re-pointed (on PCI/ISA
hardware anyway), which will beat bliting any day.. this may be
dependant on video mode and/or card support, I cant remember exactly,
but I know VESA VBE can supply this sort of support.. which comes back
to choosing a video rez, and how to do that thru VDI (current or
new)..

Paul