Re: [MiNT] cat problem

> 2009/11/24 Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.co.uk>:
> On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 19:02 +0100, Vincent Rivière wrote:
>> p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk wrote:
>> > # cat <<EOF
>> >  > echo bob
>> >  > echo more bob
>> >  > EOF
>> >
>> > gets a "file not found" error,
>>
>> I confirm I have the same problem as you, regardless the version of cat,
>> bash, and UNIXMODE settings.
>>
>> But the exact message is:
>> cat: -: No such file or directory
>>
>> So cat tries to open the "-" file, probably for output. Is is usually
>> considered as a synonym for stdout.
>>
>> But I don't reproduce this problem with my EasyMiNT setup.
>> Maybe the difference is from the kernel ?
>>
>> On EasyMint, I have the following kernel, and it works well:
>> # cat /kern/version
>> FreeMiNT version 1.17 (roo@mikromachine.localdomain) (gcc version 2.95.3
>> 20010315 (release)) #1 Wed Nov 12 22:49:20 CET 2008
>
> I suspect it is the kernel that's helping us here as it works for me
> too.
>
> Alan.

Thanks Peter, I seem to have "got it right" with the mailing list server..

Thanks guys, I suspected the same, although I am getting the same
error on 1.16-3 (on AFROS).
Unfortunately, I have yet to find a "newer" stable version for ARAnyM,
unless I can compile one myself, which would be nice, since I need to
check the current XaAES..

Not to cloud the "issue" here any more than nescessary, but I found
this reference as well:
  Here documents create temporary files, but these files are deleted
after opening and are not accessible to any other process.
  http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/here-docs.html

It then suggests:
bash -c 'lsof -a -p $$ -d0' << EOF
EOF

I'm wondering what are the chances that someone has ported lsof ..
lsof is "ls for open files" and can be used to check "here docs" ..

I have access to ARAnyM install of EasyMiNT, which I think is 1.17-2,
I just have to "install it", but I also found your FreeMiNT site Alan,
and unfortunately XaAES is broken (doesn't redraw main window -
TeraDesk, or draw main dialog - Mintsetter, I stopped trying after
that). I could test the MiNT executable with the AFROS 8.12 setup, but
as far as I know, XaAES is tied to MiNT, anyways, I will check it, see
if it works, maybe try MyAES instead of XaAES.

thanks again..

Paul