Re: [MiNT] MPFR progress.....

Alan Hourihane wrote:
One thing to remember with a change of libc is that current mintlib
provides TOS compatibility when FreeMiNT isn't loaded. Well not 100%.

For me, this is probably the best feature of the MiNTLib. I'm amazed to be able to run modern GNU software on a plain old ST (while not really useful, though).

We could put some ifdefs in the MiNTLib code to produce 3 versions : MiNT only, TOS only, and compatibility mode (current). I don' think it is really necessary, since the current compatibility mode works very well. Of course, if some MiNT functionalities are mandatory for the normal usage of a program, it is useless to embed TOS compatibility in it, but I don't think it adds so much size to the executable. In contrary, removing MiNT features for TOS-only programs may make them more lightweight, but I don't think the purpose of the MiNTLib is to support only the TOS ;-)

Finally, I think the layer of compatibility currently provided by the MiNTLib is exactly what we need. It should be the same if the current MiNTLib is replaced by something else.

--
Vincent Rivière