Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT & MiNTlib patchset - add new support

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 08:56 +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 23:21 +0200, Frank Naumann wrote:
> > Hello!

> > > Any questions/suggestions on these ?
> >
> > Yes, I took a deeper look into the code. It looks good.
> >
> > A question about this (I don't checked it): it is possible to catch
> > read/write request at a igher level instead inside the xfs? This make much
> > more sense (and avoid the problem if a newer kernel load an older xfs).
>
> Oh, and as for loading older XFS modules. That's not going to work
> really, as we're going to be allowing a read-only directory through to
> the XFS. Older XFS's don't understand that.
>
> Maybe we need a version check protocol between the XFS and the kernel to
> ensure they are compatible ??

Ah, excellent. Looks like we can bump the version already as version
incompatibilities have arisen in the past and code is there to already
support this.

In sys/xfs/ext2/main.c I can see MSG_OLDMINT which we can bump for the
XFS module. minixfs has something similar.

But it's what to do in the kernel when loading older XFS modules ?
Frank ?

Alan.