[MiNT] Recent kernel on Afterburner

I've recently repaired my old Falcon and reinstalled my Afterburner. I haven't used it since I got my Milan in 2001, and I'm in the process of installing MiNT on it. I have an ancient setup that works, but I'd like to update to a recent kernel. I've tried the 1.16/mint040-kernel from EasyMiNT, but it crashes very early during initialization. I can open the boot menu and enable init step by step. MiNT crashes with two bombs after the following output:

" Initializing system components:
Core: 3037280 B (lost 6240 B)
Alt: 31240284 B"

Memory protection is disabled. I seem to recall that I needed a special Afterburner version of previous kernels, is this still correct? I currently don't have a computer capable of compiling a kernel, so if anyone has a current kernel running on an Afterburner I would appreciate if you could contact me.

Jo Even