Re: [MiNT] 68k binary emulator

p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk wrote:
Quoting Peter Persson<pep.fishmoose@gmail.com>:

Hi,

Lately I've been working on a rather silly project which I thought
I'd  share with you. Basically it's a 68000 binary emulator, which
launches  an application in an emulated environment, but tunnels OS
calls etc.  to the host OS.

Why on earth would anyone want to do this? Well, today it's fairly
pointless, but let's say someone ports the kernel to PPC, Arm or
whatever. An emulator of this kind could then be used to provide some
  basic degree of compatibility with 68k applications.

About 8-9 years ago when people were discussing porting to cf or PPC
I was thinking about the various approaches to porting applications
although my C skills weren't/aren't up to it.

When an M68k GEM app is run, the calls to the GEM/OS features would be
passed directly on. The remaining parts of code would have to be
converted to the appropriate assembler. This might be like the method
you have used.

Then I thought that rather than emulating everytime an old app is run,
why not, convert it once and save the new version of the application
in it's cf or PPC version ?

Exactly. You would have an object-code recompiler. Just like the one I wrote back in 1986 to run PC-DOS apps on the ST.

--
  -- Howard Chu