Re: [MiNT] strip

Frank Naumann a écrit :
My opinion: We stay for now with 2 byte alignment. If we switch to gcc 4.2 wen can still go for a 4 byte alignment (and provide a binutils package with 4 byte alignment too that stritcly require a gcc 4.2 package and vice versa; that can be easily done with rpm).

I agree with you.
It is always better to not change everything at the same time.
We may use that release plan:

1) Release binutils 2.18 with 2-byte alignement. It will be compatible with all the other tools an libraries.

2) Release gcc 4.x with 2-byte alignement. Until now it seems to be binary compatible with the existing binary libraries (but I'm pretty sure it is not the case for C++ libraries)

3) If we decide it is a good thing, release binutils and GCC with support for a more clever alignment.

a.out-mint format (from the Sparemint binaries). The advantage of not using a.out-mint is to avoid unnecessary non-standard patching.

I see this as advantage too. Less patches are much better. And if it's exactly the same I see no reason to support our own format (this is a waste of time).

I'm going to have a closer look to that file formats.

--
Vincent Rivière