Re: [MiNT] gcc 4.2.2 compile error

> I don't think C compilation takes that much memory, but I've seen a mention
> on debian builds that some specific package with C++ code may need
> half a gig.

Unfortunately, Vincent is right. "Simple" C file, regex.c (in
libierty) has 8200 lines and it seems this is the problem. After
reading that bug reports from gnu bugzilla there were many reports
that long C files can go far beyond 1 GB, there was even example of
source code which eats more than 16 (!) GB memory.

To summarize it, I've tried that stack command, it didn't help. Btw
strange thing -- is there any limit for the stack? I set 4 MB for that
xgcc and I've got memory violation as soon as some compilation
involved (configure script "checking if gcc works"), same for 512K
(and this even occured in gcc 2.95!). So the safest boundary seems to
be 256K?.

When I'll be at home, I'll try to disable that -O2 with regex.c,
hopefully it helps. Maybe would be good to think about porting the
latest 3.x gcc instead of 4.x. I remember there were many complaints
in linux world gcc 4.x is even slower and less effective to produce
code than 3.x...

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org