[MiNT] binutils-2.18-mint-20080119

Dear MiNT developers,

I have just updated my patches and Cygwin binaries.
They are available at the usual place:
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/

This is not a revolution, I simply fixed what was broken in the previous build, thanks to your reports and fixes. All the patches had been posted here.

I updated the MiNTLib to the current CVS version. I added only the critical bugfixes posted here: _stksize in .data and input from the TOS console.

The binutils can now be compiled natively on MiNT with GCC 2.95.3 and without additional patching. In order to remove the requirement for makeinfo (not provided by EasyMiNT and too old on Sparemint), you can avoid building the documentation by applying the following substitution in the source directory, before running configure:
sed -i "s:^SUBDIRS = doc po$:SUBDIRS = po:g" bfd/Makefile.in

I replaced the binutils 2.13 provided by EasyMiNT by the natively built binutils 2.18. I successfully compiled (with GCC 2.95.3 and binutils 2.18) a simple "Hello, World !" in C and C++. So it seems that the binutils 2.18 are binary compatible with binutils 2.13. That's good new, because I wasn't sure at all it was the case. However, it should require additional testing !

Futhermore, I successfully built the latest MiNTLib with that setup (GCC 2.95.3 and binutils 2.18). I adjusted the stack of the different tools to 256K. The final link worked as expected (this is for you, MiKRO). I replaced /usr/lib/libc.a with the newly built one, and the "Hello, World !" compiled again. That seems very good.

If you have messed up your system with several tools and libraries, I suggest you to link your programs with the following command:
gcc hello.c -o hello.o -Wl,--verbose
That way you will know where the linked objects come from.

That's all for now !

--
Vincent Rivière