Re: [MiNT] GCC 4.2.2 - My Status....

MiKRO wrote:
Got binutils compiled and installed under aranym on my macbook pro
2.4ghz.  All I have to say is ... wow.  This machine + recent JIT build
= amazing aranym performance.  The configure script for instance just
whizzes by.  I also installed a current build on my server and couldn't
help but notice how much faster it is now than before.  Excellent :)
oh yes, especially configure scripts are getting faster. also disk i/o
is superior compared to falcon (try to compile texinfo 4.11 -- there's
some test for mkstemp which 70 times creates some big files -- it took
AGES on falcon to pass and on aranym matter of 30 secs ;)

Still working on GCC.  My image ran out of disk space :-P.

so you've chosen to compile binutils 2.18 with gcc2 and then gcc4 with
gcc2+binutils 2.18? Maybe you should make some test-check since as I
wrote, mintlib with the configuration of gcc2+binutils2.18 failed in
the nearest linking so... you can waste a lot of time for such bad
surprise.

Mikro,

It's so fast it's not a waste of time at all. I can compile mintlib now in less than 20 minutes I think (though I didn't time it). For me, I did this:

Compile binutils 2.18.  Fails...
Compile new mintlib with patches, install
Compile binutils 2.18 .. fails again
realize I am missing some patches
patch up and compile again.. succeeds.. install
Compile mintlib again with new binutils.. WORKS for me :)

Need to free up disk space for gcc, but you guys have made some amazing progress. All of this is working pretty well perfectly for me :)

Thanks,
Mark