Re: [MiNT] gcc 4.2.2 native

Alan Hourihane a écrit :
Mmm. I've looked at the script for binutils and it seems as though
that's still for a cross compilation environment and not native build.

Did you compile binutils natively using the old gcc 2.95.3 compiler ?

Remember, by native, I mean has been built on an Atari.

Sorry, I didn't understood.
I built my MiNT binaries with the cross-compiler GCC 4.2 running on Cygwin. However, if the same compiler version is running on MiNT, it should generate the very same binaries ?

In the previous binutils patch you'll notice the "COMPILE_IN" code which
doesn't exist in your patch. Also the file m68kmint.sc is missing in
yours.

Actually, I have started with the offical sources (long ago), and I have introduced the different parts of the old patches until getting something working in a cross compilation environment. I certainly have forgotten the COMPILE_IN stuff.

One other important thing : the old patch uses a special object file format (for the .o) called a.out-mint. Because there was nothing specific to that format, I used the standard format a.out-zero-big instead (I also tried to use ELF - but that's another story). It may be the reason why m68kmint.sc is missing. Maybe that "simplification" is a bad idea, however, it works. Now, several people want to use GCC 4.2, it is time to discuss of what is part of the "standard" MiNT tools, and what can be changed/improved/simplified.

I also made modifications to prg-mint.c, for fixing some bugs, and making clean-up. As far as I know, the produced executables are perfectly valid for TOS, including DRI symbols in traditional format. In GNU format (the default), the debug information is perfectly read by objdump. However, I didn't test gdb and source-line debugging.

I really think the most important thing is to know how all that stuff work. So if all of us decide that some feature is good or bad for the MiNT platform, we should be able to implement it.

Now we have a base configuration of binutils 2.18 and GCC 4.2.2 running on MiNT systems and cross environments, it is time to make improvements !

Let me know if you want me to generate a new binutils patch.

You are welcome !
Any improvement is good for the community.

Vincent