Re: [MiNT] GCC 4.2.2 and binary compatibility

Roger Burrows wrote:

Hi Andreas,
On 24 Nov 2007 at 12:37, Andreas Schwab wrote:

Vincent Rivière <vincent.riviere@freesbee.fr> writes:

There is a well-known ABI for calling TOS/MiNT.
This interface should be compatible with gcc's 16-bit ABI.

But is there a standard ABI for internal data structures alignment, as
well as function calls, eventually across the static libraries ?
Is GCC 2.95 the de-facto standard ?
AFAIK all pre-existing C compilers on the Atari were using 16 bit ints
and gcc was the first one also offering a 32-bit ABI, thus being the one
which defined it.

I had thought that Lattice C was the first, but after a quick look on the net it seems that GCC v1.30(!) was ported to the ST sometime in 1988, so that beats Lattice C v5 by about 5 years ...

Roger

for my little st, I had a gcc 1.3.1 ported to m6000 with no help for me. I could not get it to work correctly, because Mint came along a little while after this and GCC was the darling. It hallways needed Lattice to compile Mint,but there were utilities that needed GCC. only. I think the last GCC I had for the ST was 1.61. with mint installation. this seemed to be about 1990 Minix for 1.5 for the ST came along, but my problems with ICD prevented me installing it on my system. -- I once tried to convert to AHDI and it ATE MY SYSTEM. I had 16 partitions on two Quantum 105P and I lost every thing above G. I have not been a fan of the alternate disk drivers. I remember talking to some of the others and I got snubbed. because they declared it works -- go away.

I have the disks for Minix 1.5 and It ran in memory and I put the sources for minix on my disk and compiled it with MWC.2.71. MWC was actually a pre ISO specified C. and It came out in 1986 or 7 and I really wanted to figure out the loader system for minix. so I could linkup a working ATARI ST version of Minix.. in 1987 I picked up Linux and went with Slackware. I even tried to compile GCC 1.7.3 for the ST and It had a strange multilevel bug. It would not compile even for Linux.. I recall Tannebaugh and Lois Torvalds famous argument about OS development. Torvalds said he developed Linux to learn about his hardware. this was after Minix. Minix was a modular system and Linux (and mint ) were monolithic. shortly after the argument he developed Linux. about this time was the Weired OBJECT fiasco. the M68000 versions were cribbed with OLB. it was a little while after that the Mint group was working that they set GCC the default compiler. MWC (1985) then GCC(1987) then Minix(1988) then Lattice(1989) and Mint (1989) I am remembering not looking up these dates. so I could be mistaken but not by much.

josephus
- I go sailing in the Summer and look at STARS in the Winter.
"Everybody is igernant, jist on differt subjects"
  Will Rogers Jr.
"it aint what you know that gets you in trouble
it is what you know that aint so"
   Josh Billings.