[MiNT] The Infamous Malloc bug

Hello guys,

When trying to build a piece of software, I was able to replicate the
malloc bug every time, at least on my falcon.  I was convinced that the
problem is that even the newer make referenced a library that had the
malloc bug from benig compiled from an old build.

So I watched carefully the build of the make.rpm.  It uses libintl.a and
libiconv.a.  Thus, the packages gettext and libiconv needed to be
rebuilt.  I don't know what libraries THESE packages referenced but the
should have linked directly to the newer mintlib, I'd think.  Anyway,
despite rebuilding libiconv and gettext and then rebuilding and
reinstalling make, I still get the malloc bug.

chmod -w autoconf.tmp
mv -f autoconf.tmp autoconf
rm -f autoheader autoheader.tmp
sed -e 's,@SHELL\@,/bin/sh,g' -e 's,@PERL\@,/usr/bin/perl,g' -e
's,@bindir\@,/usr/bin,g' -e 's,@datadir\@,/usr/share/autoconf,g' -e
's,@prefix\@,/usr,g' -e 's,@autoconf-name\@,'`echo autoconf | sed
's,x,x,'`',g' -e 's,@autoheader-name\@,'`echo autoheader | sed
's,x,x,'`',g' -e 's,@autom4te-name\@,'`echo autom4te | sed 's,x,x,'`',g'
-e 's,@M4\@,/usr/bin/m4,g' -e 's,@AWK\@,gawk,g' -e 's,@VERSION\@,2.59,g'
-e 's,@PACKAGE_NAME\@,GNU Autoconf,g' -e 's,@configure_input\@,Generated
from autoheader.in; do not edit by hand.,g' ./autoheader.in
>autoheader.tmp
chmod +x autoheader.tmp
chmod -w autoheader.tmp
mv -f autoheader.tmp autoheader
rm -f autoreconf autoreconf.tmp
sed -e 's,@SHELL\@,/bin/sh,g' -e 's,@PERL\@,/usr/bin/perl,g' -e
's,@bindir\@,/usr/bin,g' -e 's,@datadir\@,/usr/share/autoconf,g' -e
's,@prefix\@,/usr,g' -e 's,@autoconf-name\@,'`echo autoconf | sed
's,x,x,'`',g' -e 's,@autoheader-name\@,'`echo autoheader | sed
's,x,x,'`',g' -e 's,@autom4te-name\@,'`echo autom4te | sed 's,x,x,'`',g'
-e 's,@M4\@,/usr/bin/m4,g' -e 's,@AWK\@,gawk,g' -e 's,@VERSION\@,2.59,g'
-e 's,@PACKAGE_NAME\@,GNU Autoconf,g' -e 's,@configure_input\@,Generated
from autoreconf.in; do not edit by hand.,g' ./autoreconf.in
>autoreconf.tmp
chmod +x autoreconf.tmp
chmod -w autoreconf.tmp
mv -f autoreconf.tmp autoreconf
rm -f ifnames ifnames.tmp
sed -e 's,@SHELL\@,/bin/sh,g' -e 's,@PERL\@,/usr/bin/perl,g' -e
's,@bindir\@,/usr/bin,g' -e 's,@datadir\@,/usr/share/autoconf,g' -e
's,@prefix\@,/usr,g' -e 's,@autoconf-name\@,'`echo autoconf | sed
's,x,x,'`',g' -e 's,@autoheader-name\@,'`echo autoheader | sed
's,x,x,'`',g' -e 's,@autom4te-name\@,'`echo autom4te | sed 's,x,x,'`',g'
-e 's,@M4\@,/usr/bin/m4,g' -e 's,@AWK\@,gawk,g' -e 's,@VERSION\@,2.59,g'
-e 's,@PACKAGE_NAME\@,GNU Autoconf,g' -e 's,@configure_input\@,Generated
from ifnames.in; do not edit by hand.,g' ./ifnames.in >ifnames.tmp
chmod +x ifnames.tmp
chmod -w ifnames.tmp
mv -f ifnames.tmp ifnames
rm -f autoscan autoscan.tmp
make[1]: execvp: rm: Not a directory
make[1]: *** [autoscan] Error 127
make: ../mintlib/malloc.c:187: __free: Assertion `s == r' failed.
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
root@washi:/root/bf/SPECS>

I'm at a loss to describe how ticked I am at dealing with static
libraries ;)

make only links gettext and libiconv both of which were rebuilt, so one
of those two, specifically gettext must link something that still has
the bug.  Or, perhaps the bug still exists in some form.

Thanks,
Mark