[MiNT] Old problem, unusual cure

Hello, all

I asked for some advice some time in the past, got none, but finally figured out what was causing munged downloads, and file system damage, which may have been partly due to a drive finally getting around to wearing out its heads. It was replaced, with a Western Digital drive. I am finding those reliable, if they work at all.

What I did on a holiday afternoon, and for most of it, was to apply quite a bit of automotive transmission fluid to all connections in my SCSI setup, and reconnect them. I have learned that it is a good cleaner, as well as something that will keep areas not in firm contact from corroding and pushing the connections apart. If there is a poor connection, this well-enhanced oil will break the connection.

So for a while I had drives and devices, although not all of them, coming and going, and a SCSI bus working and not working, but after much fiddling with connectors, it all worked, I can write to drives without messing up the file system, and got a clean download (of Zview). It has been a while since just one try would download a file, and it was all due to some flaky connection on one of many contacts of one of many SCSI connectors on a one-slot-to-go nearly full SCSI bus.

For electronic uses, a quart (or liter) of automotive transmission fluid lasts a long time, and is not expensive.

Jim

jimd@panix.com
jimd@isp.com

--
 /"\      Jim DeClercq--jimd@panix.com--Sylvania, Ohio, USA
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |