Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT1.16.x/XaAES on 68000-machine

Mark Duckworth wrote:
On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 12:20 +0100, Dennis van der Burg wrote:

Hello,

A few days ago I tried out the latest MiNT/XaAES snapshot 1.16.3a with TeraDesk3.70 on my TT030 with 4MB ST-RAM, and I was able to boot just fine, leaving about 1.5MB memory free.

This made me try FreeMiNT1.16.x/XaAES on a MegaST4 (before, I gave up trying because I thought 4MB RAM was not enough). Wouldn't it be great to see the speed improvements of kernel-module-XaAES on a machine that most needs it ;) I did use the mint000.prg/xaaes000.km, had no other programs in the auto-folder besides mint, no ACC's and no XFS/XDD loaded. I had put Debug/trace level to 3.
Below my experiences.

(a) 1.16.3a snapshot from 31-12-2005 (http://xaaes.atariforge.net)

The startup of FreeMiNT appears to be OK, but as soon as the part 'Reading mint.cnf ... done' should have come up, the system freezes with 11 bombs. Needless to say, that also stopped me from testing the accompanying XaAES.

(b) 1.16.1 official (11 oct 2004)

The startup of FreeMiNT goes OK, after which XaAES is started (with xaeloader.prg from within the mint.cnf), which seems to go OK initally, but then I end up with a blank screen saying 'press any key to continue ...'. Doing that gives me a blinking cursor in the left upper screen, after which the system reboots.
I have included a piece from the xaaes.log below.

---- snip ----
Screenmode is: 1
Physical work station opened: 1
v_exit_cur ok!
v_opnvwk failed (0)!
k_init failed!
press any key to continue ...
Cleaning up ready to exit ...

---- snip ----

If I start NVDI4 before MiNT, XaAES (AESSYS) gives a bus-error just after "Screenmode is: 1", and the text "pid0 (): assert (`curproc->stack_magic == STACVK_MAGIC') failed at line 505 of ../sig_mach.c." appears.

best regards,
Dennis

Hrmm..
Excellent excuse to power on my Mega STe :-P

Mark

I have a working mega4 with Rainbow Tos. I am currently running 1.15, at least that is what mintvers returns. My mega4 is and has been running all this time. I use it as a clock.

I have trouble with the tools. I have never successfully established minix fs. I had a megafile60. the tool ran, but when I looked at it the original files were still there for TOS. I could not find anything with ls.

ls works strangely on my system. I have 1.16 but it is still on the PC in archive form. If someone wants me to test 68000 1.16 I can.

         josephus

--
Everybody is Ignorant, just on different subjects.
         --- Will Rogers Jr.