Re: [MiNT] Re[3]: usage of wind_calc()

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 13:28 -0700, Frederic Fouche wrote:
> Geez, here we go again.
>
> How do you run applications written in 1992 for win95 in windows XP?
> most of them won't work, even with the attempt of the emulation layer.
> MANY apps won't work.
>
> Vice versa,  How do you run a new app written for windows XP in
> windows 95?
>
> As far as linux, you must be kidding, they changed SO MANY times their
> libs that their apps needs to be recompiled all the time. Thank god
> for the source and compiler to be available. And STILL, some need
> rewrite for newer kernels and different distributions sometimes.
>
> The only reason someone would need to reboot and run magic, is if that
> apps ONLY behaves correctly in magic, or singletos whatever the case
> may be.
> For newer applications only working on xaaes (future releases), same
> thing, if someone needs to use it, they will have to restart the
> machine to load xaaes.
>
> Am I missing something here?
>
> Your comment about windows XP, linux and osX is just a lie.
> Apps have to be tailored to those OS, otherwise they won't work
> right.
>
> This thread is hard enough to follow and come to an agreement at the
> end to make something worthwhile, please try not to pollute it with
> lies, that just agravates people and lengthen the process for no
> reason.
>
> Please don't tell me I'm insane, no profanity needed.

Call me crazy but I think you guys are arguing two very different
things.

First of all there are MANY win95 apps that still work on XP.  MacOS is
a great example of alienating the users and making it work - Classic
apps didn't go too well on OSX.  And as for Linux - as long as you have
compatibility libs installed, you can run DIRT OLD STUFF on your current
Linux box.

And honestly it appears that's the direction with XaAES - You can run
old stuff on it.  And new stuff - What's the big damn deal?

Mark