Re: [MiNT] WCOWORK operating mode

Evan Langlois píše v St 13. 07. 2005 v 15:00 -0500:
> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 20:29 +0200, Arnaud BERCEGEAY wrote:

> > If you consider today model and futur model : application may be composed
> > by various dynamical libraries, and applications may exchange messages

> OK - this is getting silly.  What dynamic libraries?  MiNT doesn't
> support dynamic libraries yet!

there are already working solutions for dynamic libraries.

> How about someone actually standardizes on the dynamic library API, and
> you can assume that ANY of these libraries will be using the new WCOWORK
> mode?   A clean slate!  No more backwards compatible cruft

well. Arnaud works on Windom to ease application developers to write
applications for any AES on Atari. If you happen to convince Arnaud to
kill compatibility in Windom you would basically make many applications
WCOWORK-only at once. That would be interesting. Let's ask some MagiC
programmer using Windom how would they like it.

> Doesn't work on MagiC?   Well, give the supposed 50% of Atari users a
> reason to switch and they will.

I replied to this refreshing idea in another post.

The real question is this: is current FreeMiNT/XaAES good enough to
replace all remaining Atari systems at once? If it is, is it smart to
force them to upgrade now? Of course we can loose some 30-60% of
remaining Atari users but the benefits should outweight it, right? ;-)

I am for setting up a deadline when all main GEM applications switch to
some new powerful mode that will force users to upgrade to latest
FreeMiNT and XaAES. Say August 31, this year? We've been waiting for
this for a long time so these remaining 6 weeks should be enough for
everybody to make the switch.

Petr