Re: [MiNT] MMU usage in MiNT, fork/mmap

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 10:42 -0400, Mark Duckworth wrote:
> OR you could cross compile on a pc?

I'm actually working on getting a more up to date cross-compiler going.
I'm just having some issues with what I believe to be a binutils issue.
The target is gcc-3.3.5 which should generate better code than 2.95, as
well as perhaps have some better features.  It supports all 68K based
CPUs up to and including the Coldfire 4e (including its MMU, FPU, and
EMAC).

Hopefully I'll have some sort of epiphany this weekend and get it
figured out.

I'm curious as to everyone's idea on the particular internal interface
this should have.  This will open up all sorts of things like Mmap(),
real dynamic libs, more efficient program loading (you can load programs
at a fixed address instead of fixing up pointers), fixing Fork() to not
swap memory around, and the possibility to emulate hardware.

Also, if the MMU code is done in assembly, it should have an easy C
interface so that it can be tuned and modified later, and if you use
assembly, should it be lowest common denominator (reduced instructions
used for future coldfire compatibility - I've got a 68K->Coldfire
assembly source translator too) ?

-- Evan