Re: [MiNT] New AES keyboard messages

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 23:40 +0200, Henk Robbers wrote:

I reserved event MU_DYNAMIC_KEYBD for it, nothing more.
Didnt spent further thoughts about it at the time.
Presumely it was my intention to send the event when either a key was pressed
or released. A bit in kstate could be spent.

Looks about what I just proposed, except I didn't have a nice MU_ name for it.   Good to know I wasn't completely bonkers.

As for detection of single press of CTRL, ALT, SHIFT:
This requires facilitating in low level keyboard driver (IKBD).
Normally these states are only supplied in combination with
scancode generating keys.

I wasn't aware that those keys were handled that differently, but changing the keyboard driver to give the information doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I did implement the use of NKCC by XaAES via event MU_NORMKEYBD.
In stead of scancodes you get normalized ASCII character values.
This might be a good place to look into.

I thought that when the AES returned a keyboard value, it returned both the scancode and the ASCII value, and that the ASCII value was the same as the one you would get by indexing the scancode into Keytbl().   Is this incorrect?   What additional benefits does NKCC give you?

-- Evan