[MiNT] Cross Compiler

Hello guys,

Maybe someone can help.  I want to install a cross-compiler, and I would prefer to use the latest GCC possible.   I haven't used 2.95 in a very long time and would like to use something newer.  All my Gentoo Linux boxes use 3.3.x or 3.4, and Gentoo is really good about development tools and portability (look at how many processors it supports - you can even run it over a Mac OS X kernel  and I think FreeBSD kernels are supported now as well).

So, I went ahead and started with binutils - tried two different patch sets I found on the net.  One almost worked with some minor fixes, but bfd_link_info structure seems to have changed, so I started over with the patch set on the freemint site and it gave so many failures during patching that I quickly gave up and tried that patch set on the sources that were in the same directory - not much older.  Well, it patches just fine, but I quickly get a nasty error as soon as it tries to compile.  Argh!

I've done cross compilers before, but not in awhile, and not for the ST.  Could someone whos got more experience in this shed some light on this?  Also, what are the chances of actually getting GCC 3.4 to work, and why not (ie: what has changed)?

Thanks,
Evan