Re: [MiNT] Weird Disk problem

Petr Stehlik napisał(a):
Adam Kłobukowski píše v So 08. 01. 2005 v 20:18 +0100:

From time to time few first sectors of my HDD get zeroed, for no known reason.

Fortunetly I do not keep valuable information on my C partition, and I do backups of it often, so recovery is just a matter of minutes.

If anybody does have any reasonable explanation of this, please rise your hand and step forward.

Nothing reasonable, just some thoughts. I have often heard in Atari
realm that it's good to partition disk to contain a small C: with just
boot stuff and then D: (and possibly more partitions) for valuable data
since sometimes the C: partition is lost. Don't remember the reason but
I do remember this used to be suggested...

My C: partition is 100MB. It does not contain very valuable data, only bootup stuff.

Also, I do remember that TOS 4.01 had a bug in its GEMDOS and when a
partition was almost full (or was it just the FAT table full?) it simply
started writing from the beginning. A GEMDOS bug would not rewrite boot
record and partition table, though.

Known bug - if partition was full, data was written in next sectors, and that could destroy next partition. I does not seem to be my problem. And it was in TOS 4.01 IIRC, and I ahve 4.04

I think I heard about a similar but slightly less dangerous bug in TOS
4.04, I might even have a test program that proves the GEMDOS problem
somewhere.

More information could be handy.

So maybe that the problem in 4.01 was not a GEMDOS bug but something
deeper, more dangerous.

Maybe. But why I'm the only one victim? Everybody here are using Falcons for years, anybodu remember such crashes?

At last, your disk driver might be doing some nasty things. Which one do
you use?

Hddriver. Recent version.

--
Semper Fidelis