Re: [MiNT] My remarks (2)

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 03:12, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> V St, 04. 08. 2004 v 08:02, Maurits van de Kamp píše:
> > original point which all of you seem to have lost anyway)..
>
> I do remember the original point. See what google has just found for me:
>
> "One really stupid thing about PeeCee keyboards is that manufacturers
> even realized that putting caps-lock on home row was a bad idea because
> people kept hitting it with the 'a' key. Did they move it? No, that
> would be too sensible. They carved a little piece of it off to leave a
> bigger gap. So now if I re-map a standard PC-10* keyboard so that
> left-control is in a sensible place, it is still harder to use than it
> should be :("
>
> Please note that the text above confirms both things: A) the key left to
> 'A' is real close and can be pressed accidentaly together with 'A', but
> also B) the Control key is better at the position where Atari put it
> since users of PC keyboard with CapsLock there try to remap the Control
> key there.

Some users try to remap the keys there but what about the original design to
begin with?  Maybe the PC keyboard manufacturers did studies to see which one
people preferred?  It's one of those things where 100 people might want to change
it but 1 million people (me included) like the PC keyboard design.  But
I didn't read your links just in case they completely negate what I'm saying ;-)

Thanks,
Mark
http://portal.atari-source.com