Re: [MiNT] mint & mmu

> So you also have to emulate them (as TOS 4.04 emulates "move from SR" in
> user mode).

of course!

> And also, everything you mentioned as needs for supermode is perfectly
> possible without using the Super() call. Obviously, under MiNT, not under
> TOS.
but the application has to use MiNT calls. and since we're talking about
dirty (obviously old) apps or about demos...

> The only way I can think of, which would save the Super() call and made it
> safe, is somehow emulate all the code, or some other way catch every
> instruction, that is executed between two Super() calls or inside Supexec(),
> and heavily check that these instructions do "legal" things, and kill the
> program otherwise.

hmm, in my opinion, this is extrem, but why not. we can let the user to
choose the level of security (it's always speed vs ellegance)

> I am sure that demo coders will love this idea :>

be sure, they do. why? probably you know how looks typical demo coding: ...
typing asm lines... compiling... running... [blank screen, system freezes]
... $%^@# !!! ...reset and once again. my solution allows you to have FULL
control under OS and, this is important, you have still access to hardware.
so it's a coder's heaven to have stable and "immortal" OS and the
possibility to use all things he like... ok, if you did something wrong with
dsp communication (polling with no answer) or set the vectors incorectly,
that's no way, but in other cases... it could help A LOT.

MiKRO         Atari XE/XL/Mega STE/Falcon060         http://mikro.atari.org