Re: [MiNT] e2fsck problem

Hi!

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 02:19:54PM +0200, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> > Is g: your sparemint partition?
>
> Yes. As I said, "e2fsck -n G:" is working perfectly. Just
> running without an option or using any option other than -n
> fails.

e2fsck needs to lock the partition it's about to check because
otherwise processes currently accessing it might crash as soon as
the filesystem is changed because of a repair action (or, even
worse, cause conflicts with the repairs by writing to the
partition). As -n never repairs anything, no lock is needed in
that case.

Now, as e2fsck is located on the same partition it's about to
check, there's already at least one process using the filesystem
(e2fsck itself) and thus the lock fails.

Solution: Copy e2fsck to another partition (best would be as
e2fsck.ttp on a TOS filesystem) and run it before the real init
process starts, so that no processes are currently using the
filesystem to be checked.

Ciao

Thomas

--