Re: [MiNT] [CVS] Xaaes in freemint module

Hello!

> > Can you also explain why?
>
> I'm generally against integration, and integrating the kernel with
> what is really an application (albeit a somewhat special one, with
> kernel type entry calls (for now)) seems even less appropriate.

As most parts of XaAES run in supervisormode I don't think XaAES is an
application.

XaAES use (like the other AES too) the F_OS_SPECIAL kernel hack to get
permanent access to all available memory (like the kernel).

> Perhaps more importantly, XaAES is not necessarily tied to MiNT.
> Sure, it relies on MiNT right now, but in the future Fenix might
> become viable, or someone might want to make XaAES run native on some
> emulator, or do a variant that does not require multi-tasking, or...

I'm sure it will be much easier to reuse the XaAES src then. Simply
because the relevant parts and interfaces are already sorted out and Fenix
don't need any special hack to run XaAES as an normal application.

> > I only see lot of ugly hacks in the kernel for the AESSYS to get it
> > working properly.
>
> Are you talking about current hacks?

Mostly I mean the F_OS_SPECIAL thing.

> Well, kernel level hacking is a long way from the AES.
> There are a whole lot more people who know the AES and the VDI (and
> who might be interested in doing something about XaAES) than there
> are people who know device drivers and memory handling, for instance.

Sure, and it will be nice if these poeple come and use cvs :-)

Tschuess
   ...Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 040 // MILAN 060