Re: [MiNT] [CVS] Xaaes in freemint module

Petr Stehlik wrote:

> On So, 2003-03-22 at 14:49, Johan Klockars wrote:
> > > No, it depend at the moment on some kernel source. It's also planned from
> > > me to integrate XaAES much better with FreeMiNT. So it's part of the
> >
> > IMO, that is a really bad idea. But that might just be me.
>
> ?? XaAES does not work without FreeMiNT so why not integrate it better?
> It's not like fVDI which runs also with TOS and MagiC.

Agreed.

The traphandler really belongs to the kernel and then the moose.
The parts that run in superviser mode.
Perhaps the use of the pipes can be replaced by a dedicated AES API.
That is, if you want to maintain the seperate AESSYS process.

A efficiency increase of 100% should be possible.
Sensitivity to mouse and keyboard can benefit hugely.

MiNT + XaAES are very small by modern standarda.
I have no objection against integrating XaAES completely in FreeMiNT.
I can see AES functions run as kernel threads.

Integration doesnt mean that you cannot have separate programs,
nor that any modualarity will disappear.
I trust Frank that the possibility of producing MiNT without XaAES
(and the opposite) will always be possible.

The MiNT side and the GEM side are pretty easy identifiable.
If those partss arent messed up you will always have a bunch of
AES function execution procedures by hand for porting to other
systems.

Tighter connection with the kernel might perhaps alleviate some of
the problems the AES presents to virtual memory.

Just some thoughts (Not pretending to be a kernel expert ;-).

--
Groeten; Regards.
Henk Robbers.    mailto:h.robbers@chello.nl