Re: [MiNT] OT: The test is wrong

Hi!

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 07:23:55PM +0200, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:
> Definitely not, since it's only the source IP address that
> counts! The from-address can be anything, and in fact I don't
> know any ISP smtp server that checks this. It's easy for a
> spammer to enter a From-address that complies with the domain
> the smtp server is in.

Of course, but I didn't say an SMTP server should rely on the MAIL
FROM only, did I? I said it shouldn't allow both MAIL FROM and
RCPT TO to be external addresses even for local clients.

> From-addresses don't mean a thing, especially not in spam
> tracking.

Not in tracking, but it defines the return path of bounces.

> As we speak, a spam attack on my own mailserver is in progress
> without any success. Someone from Chello.nl has been trying to
> relay mails over smtp.bassment.nu using the from-address of one
> of my customers for the last 20 days.  Fortunately, the server
> plays by my rules and not yours or he would have succeeded. :)

It seems you didn't get my point. My rules are actually more
strict than yours. I said that even for local clients at least one
address should be local. For non-local IP addresses, only external
to internal delivery is allowed, of course.

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de