Re: [MiNT] Thing bug - is Gryf listening here?

On 7 May 2002, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> Hmm, this sounds bad. Though I can hardly imagine that the original
> authors would mind if you open sourced it.
>
> The example of drag&drop code really scared me.

Yes, this really scares me too! :(

> So how about using Thing just as a valuable resource of ideas for
> writing a new desktop from scratch?

This would be a real help. Some parts might be taken and cleaned up and
some might be rewriten from scratch. IMHO the final architecture also
needs to be more componental. The proposals made in a few previous mails
might be very usefull here.

> > I'm currently not very busy working on it. One important thing
> > that still needs to be done is adding code for scrollable edit
> > fields, to complete the support for filenames with more than 32
> > characters. And that's definetely a "must" feature for the new
> > release.
>
> That wouldn't be too hard to implement. And if the code was open
> somebody would have already written it for you, I believe.

This is definitely done in MyDials which I know quite sufficiently to
extract the ideas or to redesign to some better shape.
There are two major ways to determine the real field length (scrollable).
One is to put the mask string longer than the object rectangle size. The
other is to initialize each such field from a programming environment.
Both ways have their pros and cons for sure....

regards

STan