Re: [MiNT] Thing bug - is Gryf listening here?#

Hi!

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 09:55:26PM +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> I have just found a bug in Thing 1.27 - there's a MOVE.W SR,D0
> somewhere deep in the code and this is a privileged instruction.
> It needs to be replaced with MOVE.W CCR,D0. Could you please do
> it and release an updated version? It would help a lot.

I haven't replied yet because I thought it'd better to look it up
first. But to my knowledge, movec ccr,d0 is only available on >=
68010, so what is better:

- Have the code use an instruction that's perfectly legal on
  68000, and just priviledged on >= 68010 (and correctly handled
  by TOS's exception vector anyway)

- Have the code use an instruction that will make it break on
  68000 machines?

Besides, as Thing is mostly C, the "offending" instruction is most
probably burried deep inside some library calls, thus making it
almost impossible to do anything more than a binary patch.

> Also, may I ask you what is your plan with Thing? Is there a
> newer version than the mythical 1.29beta that only some selected
> people may test? And are you going to release something public
> anytime soon? How about open-sourcing Thing? And releasing it
> under a license that would allow further development?

I currently send the beta to people who ask for it. And no, I
won't make it open source for various reasons.

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de