[MiNT] desktop from components (was Re: [2] Thing bug - is Gryf listening)

On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 22:51, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
> it would be a question of executing the
> proper program in /bin and parse the output.
>
> Thoughts?

A new desktop based on components is a great idea. However:

1) this is a MiNT only solution
2) it would require a lot of RAM (no shared libc)
3) it would require full Unix like setup (/bin/ with all the programs)
4) there would not be the usual progress bar indication for lengthty cp
operations
5) memory fragmentation would kill it soon

Points 1-3 are not a fatal problem on a powerful machine running a
complete MiNT setup. 4 is a cosmetical thing that is important only if
the desktop is blocked by the running operation which is not the case.
Though point 5 is a real problem.

I think that a MiNT with proper virtual memory and shared MiNTlib
(recompiled all prgs in /bin/) would be required for this to work
efficiently.

Petr