Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT history...

On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 08:42, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:
> > Atari apparently got ahold of it ... changed the name
> > of the acronym ("Mint is Now TOS") and adopted it.
>
> When Atari deserted MultiTOS, they released MiNT into the open, provided
> it would be named FreeMiNT. IIRC, the last Atari MiNT version was 1.12.4,
> after that all developments were on FreeMiNT.

I think that Atari left MiNT much much earlier. I believe that 1.09 was
the last version that was somehow connected with Atari. Then a couple of
people worked on it quietly for several years, the source code was
available but binaries were prohibited to distribute. At last Eric
allowed binary distributions but under a different name - hence FreeMiNT
(IIRC also NetMiNT and something else was considered :)

I even remember MiNT 0.x versions - guess I am getting old :-)

Petr