Re: [MiNT] XaAES & centscreen

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> It is better to write a short wrapper program, which will switch
> resolutions, launch AES, and when the AES exits, it would restore the
> resolutions back to the original state.

Sure, this should be the VDI, shouldn't it?

> I wonder why no AES bothers to do this.

I think the AES shouldn't solve such problems. This is a matter of
concept. The AES is about the serving to applications. Such low level
operation like resolution change should be done by VDI. Simply all actions
concerning the screen format and rendering should be managed by VDI. There
should be some VDI call to let the VDI switch the resolution for you.

The old VDIs are not capable of this and so there should be some general
patch (a TSR?) creating a new VDI call e.g. v_setresolution( width,
hieght, colorDepth, frequency). The fVDI is doing this call to the HW
dependent driver during the boot and I think this call should be published
as the VDI call (also query resolution function should be added than).

best regards

STan