Re: [MiNT] ext2fs and TOS domain

Hello!

> Of course it's not to use access rights with TOS programs (I agree this
> would be a joke). It's just that they dedicated a partition to mint, and
> they wanted also to use it for some old applications (The desktop from
> AES 4.1 is an example of application which have trouble with ext2fs...
> and far less with minixfs).

As I said, my suggestion is to use FATFS for strict compatibility.

> > You don't understand the problem. You can't solve this in a clean way.
>
> I perfectly understand the problem. :)

I don't think so. At least you think it's a problem of the ext2 xfs
driver. I disagree in this point.

> What you wrote let me think TOS domain support from ext2fs is already a
> dirty hack.

There are no special routines for TOS domain at all.

> Since these modifications would only modify the response when in TOS
> domain (which is already broken), there is no reason for side effects on
> other applications.

Oh, just that you can get wrong results because one application access
foo.bar and another access FOO.BAR (not to speaken that it's pure luck
*which* of these files get's opened by an TOS application).

> I think it is the way minixfs should always have reacted in TOS mode.

No, please look into the source to see what's going on in MinixFS.

> We could even modify it to make it react the same way. THIS would made
> ext2fs and minixfs totally appropriate for TOS applications.
>
> Did I succeed in changing your point of view ?

I disagree that it's a problem of the ext2 driver. The compatibility
operations belong to the kernel there it can be handled in a more general
way (and still for all xfs).

Tschuess
   ...Frank

--