Re: [MiNT] GUI Toolkit vs Window Manager

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 09:03:31AM +0200, Standa Opichal wrote:
> Window manager ... AES
> GUI Toolkit    ... CFLib, MyDials, and other GUI component libs.
> Desktop        ... Thing, Jinnee, etc...
>
> Is this correct?

Hm, I think you cannot compare GEM to X in that way.  The AES has some
components of a window manager and some components of a toolkit (think of
high-level widgets like file selector, menues, toolbars, alerts, ...).

Typical toolkits like CFLib or MyDials are partly build on top of the AES,
partly inbetween AES and VDI.  Even the desktop cannot be compared to
typical X components.  It is probably close to a window manager, but has
also toolkit components like print dialogs and so on.

Fortunately there is no need to compare because most people know what is
part of the AES and what is part of the VDI.  I just wanted to say that it
is not necessary to fire up the AES if you just want to draw some simple
dialog boxes.

Ciao

Guido