Re: [MiNT]Idea for an Atari related Service

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 02:32:15AM -0500, Brian J. Roland wrote:
> Out of couriosity, I hit this heavily javascript page useing CAB via this proxy
> service (http://www.anonymizer.com).  It almost worked, ALMOST, there was a lot
> of garbage at the top of the download...but a page that would not load AT ALL
> without the proxy service did load up in CAB (albeit littered with java script
> code that threw the display amuck), but still...it gave me an idea...

Properly written JavaScript is no problem for a properly written browser
that doesn't support JavaScript.  CAB is not totally clean in this respect
AFAIK.  In other words: You haven't encountered a suprise, you have only
hit a bug in CAB.  Other non-JS browsers like w3m or lynx would probably
display the same but without the JS litter.

The idea behind JavaScript and Java plugins/applets is to let software run
on the client, not on the server.  How would you achieve this with a proxy
service?  90 % of the JavaScript code floating around the net changes the
appearance of an image or anchor element when you move the mouse cursor
over it or click on it.  How should a proxy emulate this?

Not all web designers are stupid.  If something could be done with static
html, they would do it.  But CAB doesn't even support CSS (which makes a
lot of JavaScript unnecessary).  So-called dynamic html is used to
overcome shortcomings in html, no way to emulate that with a proxy.

If you want to extent the capabilities of CAB you have to make do with the
possibilities provided, i. e. the plugin (resp. overlay) interface.  You
could probably emulate a lot of JavaScript, and - once you have written a
Java VM implementation - even handle Java applets or plugin
code.  Unfortunately you will make a little less than no money with
that.  Why pay for crippled JavaScript or Java support when you can get
it fully-working for free on the Linux box right next to you?

An open-source approach to that would be fun and maybe even
successful.  But better play the lottery if you want to get rich.

Ciao

Guido