Re: [MiNT] Thing

Hi!

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 06:40:38PM +0200, Standa Opichal wrote:
> What is goning the Thing development continue like?

At the moment, it's almost non-existant. But I definitely plan to
release a 1.30, I just can't tell when it will be ready.

> Is there any chance to get it open-source?

Nope. That's not because I'm greedy, but because the code is a mess. I
took me more than a year to sufficiently understand how everything works
together (remember, I'm not the original author) - and I'm actually
quite good at understanding other people's code. Releasing Thing's code
in its current state wouldn't lead to people adding stuff, but rather in
saying "boy, that's awful code, Arno and Thomas must be lousy coders".

For example, the code has almost no useful comments - and I can assure
you that I would take me a lot more time to make the code presentable
(and thus useable) than to finish 1.30.

> It is quite bad thing to have open-source OS without really cool
> desktop.

Even though XaAES has made some progress, I still don't consider it a
fully useable AES. And N.AES definitely isn't open source - it's just
MiNT which is, but without a GUI it's not a full Atari-compatible OS.

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de