Re: [MiNT] What object format

Hi,

the GNU development tools (compiler, assembler, linker and source level
debugger) only recognize a.out.  The linker can link executables in the
legacy GEMDOS format originally specified by Atari plus the symbol
table format as described by DR.  Old debuggers require this format.  GDB
and all other recent tools require the extended GEMDOS format which is
the default format of all GNU linkers > 2.8.1. This format is backwards
compatible from the user's view, i. e. the executables do not require
any special software or OS extentions.

If you get along with some combination of old development tools, you can
of course still use them. The new tools have the advantage that they
are actively developed and supported, and that most new precompiled
libraries are only available for the new GNU development
suite. Furthermore, the new binary formats have quite a few nitty-gritty
features that make them very attractive from a developer's point of view
(at least from developer's point of view that has invented them ... ;-)

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 08:47:46AM +0200, Martin_Doering@mn.man.de wrote:
> Best I would like a source format, which is like GST (?!?) It uses a ";" as
> a comment, but I would like to use dc.b 'text' as ascii text, not this
> .ascii command.

The GNU assembler has some command line switch that lets you choose
between "Motorola syntax" and "GNU syntax", the latter being the default.
I do not know if any of these meet your preferences, have a
try.  Alternatively, the MiNT kernel contains a command line tool that
converts assembler files from some (which? no idea) syntax to a syntax
that the GNU assembler understands.

Ciao

Guido