[MiNT] Sendmail setup/errors

After having problems with Pine and my ISP, I've now attempted to switch to sendmail.
I'm getting the following error when I attempt to send mail via pine:
remote EHLO: invalid operand: 'localhost': from : hostname must contain a '.'.

Here's the parameters from my config file:
delivery_mode=queued
smart_host: # per Guido
    driver=smarthost, # per Guido
    transport=smtp;   # per Guido
smart_path=mail.fastlane.net
smart_transport=smtp

I've not changed the General Configuration parameters at the end of the file.
Any and all help appreciated.
Also, since my ISP requires sending a password when sending mail, where
do I put that parameters?

Thanks,
Michael White
michael@fastlane.net